Thursday, November 17, 2011

1964/65 Studebaker Commander

A brief post today, but from one of my favorite orphan car companies.


My reference material is of no help with this one. Seems that '64 and '65 Commanders looked pretty much the same, with some having a two-lamp headlight setup, and some having four (in 1964) before having four lights across the board for '65. I'm sure there is some small trim variation that marks differences, but by the mid '60's Studebaker just didn't have the time or money to really make any changes. This car would have been one of the last batch of vehicles made in Hamilton, Ontario. If it was a '64, it would be running a Stude built engine, either a 6 or a V8. In '65, they had made the switch to Chevrolet engines, so it could have either a straight 6 or a 350 V8. Either way, a sad end to the story. 


There is an interest tangential story that accompanies this car. One day several years prior, I was driving home from work on a snowy, blustery winter night. I was on I-195 just outside of Fall River, MA, when I spotted tail-lights that were obviously vintage. I caught up to the vehicle, and who could believe it, it was a snow and ice encrusted mid-60's Studebaker. I never forgot that sight, and when I saw this car at this show in Southern MA, I was sure that it was the same one. Amazingly enough, it was not! It always surprises me the number of old cars that are hidden away.

No comments:

Post a Comment